Provide a high level of customer service to all passengers within assigned areas of the Canada Line while maintaining SNC-Lavalin values, including the company’s commitment to safety, and operational excellence. Ensure the safety of the public, while demonstrating a commitment to company policies and procedures, including the Canada Line Rail Operating Rules. Assist with trouble shooting and fault mitigation on trains in order to meet required performance targets. Respond and participate in emergency response according to SNC-Lavalin policies and procedures. Provide fare media, way finding and tourist information to the public as required. Participate in initial training; Canada Line Rail Operating Rules certification and all other company sponsored training both internal and/or external.
The successful candidate will be part of the BC Government Employees Union (BCGEU).
Duties & Essential Job Functions
- Provide excellence in customer service to all passengers including passengers with special needs. Enhance safety by continuously monitoring passengers and train operations. Remain highly visible and approachable at all times while upholding SNC-Lavalin’s Code of Ethics and operational standards.
- Communicate with other members of Field Staff as well as the Control Centre via two-way radio. Continuously monitor designated station and/or area and report safety and security needs effectively.
- Monitor passenger volume and identify safety concerns, implement crowd management during emergencies, provide critical information via public address system, and perform first aid.
- Assist with trouble shooting and fault mitigation on trains and other equipment in order to meet required performance targets.
- Participate in high visibility passenger safety and passenger information initiatives. Distribute maps and tourism literature as required.
- Participate in station opening and closing. Inspect stations and trains for vandalism and ensure train and station cleanliness.
- Access the Automatic Train Control (ATC) area (guideway) to retrieve items or to assist with system disruptions as required.
- Retrieve and respond to lost property and assist when parties have been separated i.e. parents/children.
- Operate company motor vehicles when required.
- Remain compliant with all safety, technical, customer service training, and Canada Line Rail Operating Rules at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum 5 years of direct, high volume customer service experience, preferably in the transportation industry, including the ability to listen, empathize, and communicate effectively with a diverse range of people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience using two-way radio considered an asset.
- Attention to detail and ability to relay details in concise fashion, including those of a technical nature.
- Formal education or training in hospitality considered an asset.
- A combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to learn and implement operating rules and procedures for normal and emergency operations.
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflict.
- Ability to correctly analyze a situation and respond appropriately.
- Work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- Must be available to work 7 days per week including weekends and holidays on a 24 hour shift basis.
- Demonstrated technical and mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment; stand for long periods of time, including working outdoors in all types of weather.
- Comfortable working in an underground area for an entire shift.
- Safety orientation is essential in our work environment.
- Able to obtain First Aid Level 1 (training provided).
- Valid BC class 5 driver’s license.
A combination of experience and education may also be considered.